Projected expenses are between four and five thousand dollars for me to ski from Aspen to Vail, the first phase of the project. I am going to try to get sponsored by either a local sporting goods company or gym.
Anyone with either an offer to sponsor or any ideas, please direct them to Greg Yates, from AASCEND @firstname.lastname@example.org, or Paul Nussbaum, email@example.com, also with AASCEND.
Colorado Expedition Preparing for the Greenland Crossing
January 22 – 29, 2017
Roundtrip airfare from Oakland to Colorado.
Clothing list: (I will update this list, personalized and itemized for me after visiting a sporting goods store to estimate cost more precisely).
- Ski boots with inner liners
- 3 pairs of wool ski socks
- Down booties
- Insulated over boots (optional)
- Mid weight long underwear bottom
- Wool or ski Schoeller /alpine pants,
- Wind pants with full length side zippers
- Insulated ski pants with full side zippers (optional)
- Mid weight long underwear top, wool or pile sweater
- Nylon wind shirt with hood
- Nylon bike vest. I wear this layer all of the time, it protects my core
- Hooded puffy parka that fits over all layers
- Mountain rain parka with hood
- Wool gloves
- Large insulated mittens
- Wool ski hat
- Sun hat.
Personal gear checklist:
- Sleeping bag (rated to minus 20F degrees)
- Full-length sleeping pad, possibly 2 sleeping pads if you are a cold sleeper
- Skis/ski poles/bindings
- Skins (2 pair, one full coverage skin and one kicker skin)
- Avalanche beacon/Avalanche probe pole/Avalanche shovel
- Sunglasses/sunglass’ retainer (RX)
- Goggles (RX)
- Toothbrush/paste/personal meds
- 1-liter thermos and 1-liter insulated water bottle
- 4 Sled/harness
- 3 medical kits
- 4 Whisperlite stoves/stove repair kit
- 3 1 liter fuel bottles with pumps
- 3 gallons of white gas,
- 4 tents/fly shelter
- 1 ski/sled repair kit
- 4 quart cooking pots
- 4 Spatula, dipping cup, spice kit
- 8 days of food for 8 people
Gear Specific Information:
We will be using lightweight Skis/Boots/Bindings. The poles will be longer than your alpine ski poles. I will be using Nordic carbon fiber racing poles!
- AT or Rando Racing skis/boots/bindings (The boots, at $600.00 dollars or more, are the single most important item).
The “No List”:
- No leather gloves
- No cotton underwear
- No deodorant
- No toilet paper
- No camelbacks
- Please, do not bring a lot of snacks
- Remember all liquids will freeze and need to be on your person at all times.